Thread: "New" 10 Gauge
View Single Post
"New" 10 Gauge
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Patrick Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "New" 10 Gauge

I recently bought an 10 gauge hammer gun with 32” twist barrels. The number is 40,966. It is on a 3 frame, locks up tight, has bright barrels with some very minor pitting towards the breech, and looks to be in very good mechanical shape. After reading the poll on smokeless vs. BP, I will use light loads of smokeless after I have it checked out by a gunsmith. There is one small dent on the bottom of one barrel at the muzzle which I would like to have worked on. Snap caps are on the way as this my first 10.

This brings me to my first question, I live in N. California (Bay Area) and would like a recommendation for a gunsmith, which are all too hard to find in this state. I would like to avoid the hassle of mailing this heavyweight.

The major problem I have with this old 10 is that it looks like someone covered the stock and forearm with Linseed oil. I contacted the guy who sold it to me and he said that a gunsmith told him that what it was. It feels a bit sticky to the touch and It looks like whoever painted it also got some particles on the finish. A real second-rate job.

I would like to avoid refinishing the wood and am asking for some ideas as to how to get the oil off or at least get the finish to have a smoother feel. The seller said that it felt sticker when he first got it from an estate sale and I have read that Linseed oil dries by oxidation, not evaporation.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010046.jpg (516.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P1010048.jpg (517.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1010052.jpg (514.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1010053.jpg (522.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1010057.jpg (521.1 KB, 8 views)
Patrick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote