Thread: Help wit id
View Single Post
PGCA goes International- what a fine thing indeed
Unread 11-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #19
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default PGCA goes International- what a fine thing indeed

Mikeal- one of the earliest books about the history of the Parker shotguns was written about 1960 by Peter Johnson. In the half-century since, thanks in great part to the dedication and effort of many PGCA members, much more detail and information that can be verified has surfaced.

Going back to Mr. Johnson's book, I recall he mentioned that of the major European countries, France seemed to have more Parker owners that others. This may well make sense, as England, Spain, Germany, Austria, Sweden and Italy all have been very involved in manufacturing high quality sporting shotguns and rifles. France, a few known names- Darne and Georges Granger, and if I omitted any others, my error.

My "Blue Sky' guess is- as I am serious student of WW11 in Europe and the aftermath, and my favorite General from that time frame was George Smith Patton Jr.- who owned several Parkers, including a CHE 20 bore- and had some of his personal firearms available for hunting after Germany surrendered in May 1945- That Parker DH 20 might- and that is a very guarded statement- have belonged to an American Staff Officer from WW11, and somehow was left behind.

Fotos and all numbers you can find on the three main pieces of the shotgun- ie: barrels, forearm and the stock and receiver section- and a PGCA search letter might add some further light on the very valid question- how did this fine American shotgun end up in your Country.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote