Thread: Inlay material?
View Single Post
Unread 09-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #9
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

Allen, thank you. Yes I checked two of the inlays several days ago with a red hot sewing pin and they are ivory.

Readers: Allen saw this Super-Fox for sale at the same event I did and thus his question on the barrels. These are the original barrels that had suffered a dent that popped the top and lower ribs from the muzzles to about 5” aft. Then someone had epoxied both ribs back in place by removing the keels and injecting the epoxy into the spaces between the barrels. I knew the ribs were epoxied before buying the gun but at that time didn't know how much had been used and how deep it was.

At first I tried gouging out the epoxy but it was hard as a rock and way too deep. I’ve got a background in chemistry and next step was to dissolve it by soaking muzzles down for three weeks in a mix of exotic solvents; the mix completely dissolved the epoxy. Then I cleaned and resoldered the front end of both ribs, boiled to neutralize the flux, and replaced the keels with steel fillers as done by the factory. I've done Fox rib work before and have some specialty heating and soldering thingies. As written earlier the barrels now ring clearly like church bells as heavy 0-weight Super-Fox barrels usually do. I also removed the dent which was just short of the choke leade in a cylindrical section of bore, using a hydraulic dent remover, and the burnishing by the removal tool polished out a dark tarnish spot in the bore that was nearby the dent. All told the original barrels are now in excellent condition and I didn't need to fit an extra Super-Fox barrel I have and that Allen asked about. Sorry, the extra SF barrel isn't for sale.

All the repair work is documented with good pics. I shot this Super yesterday to start some patterning with a variety of 3-inch shells for a future article.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: