Thread: Go-to gun
View Single Post
Unread 05-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #49
10 bore
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,457 Times in 805 Posts

Will let me tell you about a true story of a 2 woodcock hunters. these guys have been hunting together for years and shoot lot of skeet birds. one guy used a 28 ga 3/4 oz 7 1/2's he is the shooter in this story. they only shot at "high birds" as most seasoned woodcock hunters do. 1st hunters dog on point ,goes in for the flush , bird goes up high to get out of the foliage, takes his "safe" shot. At the shot hunter 2 gets knock off his feet 70yds away high up on a hill . Yes he was shot, after the fish and game did their investigation they could not believe that that shot happed," freak accident". the guy the got hit in the thick poplar thicket and dense foliage was hit with 52 7 1/2's. most from lower arm pits to belt line. F and G said shot must have been closer but they did the hole reenactment over found the proof that they were telling the truth. After that I always believed if you can see a bird in the woods you can hit that bird if you are on it. This story was not meant to pick on the shooter, just shows what shot can do in the woods. I just don't see trees eating all the shot.
scott