View Single Post
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Jack Selman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

In June, 1964, I recall shaking the hand of my high school friend and wrestling partner and asking him what his plans were now that we had just graduated from our N Georgia high school. Tony Stringer told me he would work on his dad's farm and would likely be drafted. When asked about my plans, I told him of my acceptance into the U of GA. We wished one another well....but I walked away doubting the fairness of the college deferments being granted to those students whose families were financially able to send their kids to college. Within two years Tony gave his life in service to his country. This became a sore subject with my fine father and me, my wanting to join but being encouraged to learn now and join and fight later should Nam drag on as it did. Pop was a corpsman who served in the US Marines in the South Pacific. My pride in his service is immeasurable. Brokaw wrote of Pop and Dennis and his brother and that Greatest Generation. I bow my head in reverence. Through them I am free.

By the time I had a sheepskin, Nam had changed and the lottery spared me and my two brothers. I look back with friends that served in Nam and am told that I should be glad I was spared. All I can offer is my 30+ years in the space shuttle program where I worked ordnance systems on the solid boosters. Entrusted by the flight crews with their safety, I never backed up to a check. But no one ever took a shot at me! In the sad light of the two losses we incurred in that program, much hard work was done in a very patriotic effort by many from all walks of life.

Our nation might be best served if the draft is re-initiated. We could use a tool to strengthen our waning sense of service and patriotism. More caution would be taken by more parents/voters if they ALL had a dawg in the fight. No sir, your son aint off to Yale with his new BMW. He's off to Somalia by year's end.

God Bless America. PRAY FOR PEACE AND THANK OUR TROOPS FOR THEIR SACRIFICES.
Jack Selman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Selman For Your Post: