View Single Post
Unread 10-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Garden and Gun is like Southern Living for Guys. https://gardenandgun.com/ It started predominantly focuses Sporting Life in SE from Texas to Virginia and anything in between. It is now growing. Surprised Harold had not heard of it since they did do a piece on Greenbrier. BTW I love a mint julep and supposedly The Greenbrier is where the mint julep was created.

They have had some really neat articles on sxs's and so forth and hunting pieces especially on quail hunting. To some extent they still promote mystic of classic things like sxs's and blend it in. They did one article about a book review that caught my attention about Hemingways guns. They showed pictures of the gun Ernest used to take the family exit with and what was believed to be the torched remnants of a sidelock from gun since his son destroyed the gun.

Recipes are pretty interesting as well. They even have a recipe of blending some bourbons that is supposedly a close imitation to Pappy Van Winkle, just saw this and must have missed it n the magazine. I love my bourbon but have not had any Pappy and not sure its superiority is worth the price, but it maybe interesting to try. BTW this is also from a guy that doesn't mind a nice blended white dog.

BTW Mills you hunker down during the big blow coming your way.

Nothing against any breed of dog but would love to see a true field bred type dog win. I think there must be some Russian meddling in the process if Facebook is only way to vote and I think a Pekingese wearing a sweater vest is in the lead. I think Mueller needs to switch gears and investigate this since its happening in real time. Seriously if you can train a Pekingese to point or retrieve for a half day afield then I stand corrected.

Several years ago I read an article about a guy that trained his cocker spaniel to be a squirrel dog. He trained it to tree a squirrel, easy enough, and then trained it to then get in a burlap bag laid on the ground to conceal itself When squirrel would move again he trained dog to then run out to other side of tree so squirrel would present a shot. Now that would be worthy.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 10-10-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote