Unread 07-05-2018, 01:13 AM   #22
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,425 Times in 686 Posts

Quote: "Wow! That’s quite a statement. You have never bought a TV?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike:

That’s right, never bought one, don’t have one in my house; but, probably will if a house-mate comes in here and buys one for his own room. Huge surcharge, but not impossible, if he wants it put in a common room.

I did once own a TV. Was then renting an apartment in Boston. Girlfriend living across town bought a second color TV and gave me her old black and white. Turned it on one time only, to watch Reagan give his Evil Empire speech. The next time I tried to view something it no longer powered up.

So, we set it up in a friend's backyard as a target for harpoon practice. Had the satisfaction of “breaking the target”, that is, seeing the hand-launched pole smash the plastic screen and continue on through and out the back-side of the unit, all done with a panache rarely achieved since.

Hey, it has been said that the things you like to do between the ages of 13 and 23 are the things that keep you happily occupied the rest of your life.

Books I have never read; others that at this stage in life can now be satisfyingly re-read; there is internet; collections to putter over; fishing tackle to be overhauled; old house forever in need of some sort of maintenance; talk radio to listen to, all of which leaves little time or need for TV watching.

And, as Brian implied, there are always friends who have Netflix available at their houses.