View Single Post
Grazie Senor- You are also a "cane adict"
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Grazie Senor- You are also a "cane adict"

I had a Morris Kushner 7' 9" 2/2 "Excelereme"- but like the Young Parabolic series, I was more atuned to the crisper casting characteristics of the pre-fire 3 pc. Leonards. My DF50 was made in about 1958, I have never yet cast a Hunt Model 50- the flamed cane and blued hardware and reel seats were so pleasing to both the eye and in hand. Morris Kushner apparently was a friend of the late MI trout/legal/flyfishing/OldCabinStill consuming UP curmudgeon extraordinaire-- John Voelker! He was mentioned in Trout Madness I believe.

I have my reels set for LH winding (from the spin casting era I guess) and I was a good friend of the late Bill Hunter, he got me both the LH Trout and the LH Steelhead Bogdan reels many years ago. Stan's son Steve, who I believe is in charge of the Company up in Nashua NH- was a USN machinists' mate and had duty in the Gulf of Tonkin during the Vietnam Era- Strange isn't it, how the very Tonkin reeds that may have later become the Garrisons and Gillums and other fine "sticks" grew stronger in the Monsoons of the Gulf area.

I also have owned a few of the Captain Mac MacChristian SeaMasters and the early Gar Wood Fin-Nors (aka- the "wedding cake" design) and have used them salmon and steelheads--also salt water work, along with the no longer made Penn reels (Senators and M stainless spool models). Now 90% of the fly reels sold by catalogue houses are made in Korea, even Abel had to move in that direction to stay profitable.

I find it interesting to compare the graphite fly rods to the cane rods as comparing a Binelli 12 gauge with black synthetic stock to a Parker DHE- both variations will peform (if set up properly) but dry fly fishing for trout with a good cane rod (and balanced reel) is like bird hunting with a good dog and a fine double (side-by-side for me)- as the late Gene Hill once wrote: "A sense of doing it right". I met Gene years ago on a Orvis book signing tour out here, we chatted about trout and salmon fishing and he told me his definition of a "Hardy" fly reel, to wit: A reel that when dropped onto large rocks in Alaska will keep on working"_
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote