View Single Post
Unread 11-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
1. Factory fore ends and stocks are seldom matched on low grade guns.

2. Fore ends are often much more worn on guns that have been shot a lot because the hand slides on the fore end.

3. Have you considered checking the stock serial number?
Interesting points. Always thought on most of the Parker guns that are hand fit they would pull from the same piece of wood or get something pretty close to match. Makes sense in high production if they didn't.

Have looked at a lot of old guns and probably never made direct distinction between wear on fore ends and stock. Most if original and well cared for looked equally worn. Some looked worse than others chips and cracks etc. Again its not sole indicator if you were just trying to see if some woodwork replaced.

Learning something on Parkers. I know there are several SN stamped into metal parts, but they also stamped the stock's. Where would you find the stock stamp in the wood. I am guessing but maybe under the butt plate? Just looking at a gun would not want that liability of removing something unless its stamped somewhere in the open.

Hey I am learning so maybe when I look at other Parkers I know what I am looking at.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote