View Single Post
Unread 01-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
Oh my! Those are some nice osage orange. A friend here would love to have some pcs of that to make his long bows with.
Richard, there are, at least used to be back when I was shooting a recurve, several bowyers in Missouri that used Osage for their stick bows. Osage fence posts cost more than treated wooden posts here, and they last longer. I like seeing their twisted forms in fence lines. They have so much more character. You can burn your wood stove up using it, and it is very hard on chainsaw chains.

I asked Elaine to take this photo when we were hunting in Iowa earlier this season. The pile of bulldozed trees and shrubs was a fence row that had held birds the year before. It was an old Osage fence row that had been "harvested" for fence posts many times (the trees sprout back well from cutting) over the course of years. I guess the farmer wanted a tax break this year. Thus the bulldozer. One year we had a covey that would not leave a bulldozed fence line. It was sad to see them running about in the debris.

Ah, thus is progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4321.jpeg (289.1 KB, 4 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: