View Single Post
Unread 08-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #16
24 grams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
It's the ones that are abused beaters that warrant a restoration of sorts. Guns like yours are sought after to just put to work and and never have to worry about taking them out in the weather and the thickets. And this earns them a lot of pride and respect because they go wherever, and whenever, you go.
Nice thoughts. That is sort of what I had in mind: a gun to take to the woods without worrying about my "investment."

This is what I am thinking:

I bought the gun for $2,000. I could shoot it for a few years and sell it for that or perhaps a little more. Is a VH ever going to be worth a lot of money? I don't think so.

Realistically, if I spent $1,000-1,500 on a restoration, it might be worth $2,500 -3,000, so I would "lose" $500-1,000 in doing so.

But if it gives me a few years of pleasure in the field, restored to how it might have looked nearly a century ago, it would be well worth it.

Would I be destroying a bit of history by commissioning a faithful restoration, employing gunmaking processes from the last century? I don't think so.

I may love the gun so much that I shoot it "as is," but I also may love it so much after shooting it "as is" this season that I want to bring it back to life.

In either event, it should see honest use in the field for decades to come.

SCG
Steven Groh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Groh For Your Post: