View Single Post
Unread 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #33
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,313 Times in 1,219 Posts

Anthony, you've really got something to look forward to once you get her in the field. Sorry for my tangent here but I wanted to comment on the 20 gauge, 3-inch performance.

Last spring I found a straight grip VH Parker at show up north. Gun is a 12 gauge, 2 frame, 32-incher, and it came with a spare 2 frame, 32-inch 20 gauge barrel and its forend. The 20 gauge barrel is serial numbered to another gun, and checks out as a factory 3-inch. I pulled out all the stops and had the spare barrel and forend fitted, and ended up with a two-barrel set in time for the first waterfowling gig last fall.

The "Super 20" Parker took five Canadas with ease on the shores of the St Lawrence river in northern NY. It was a test of sorts..... my buds let me shoot first at the tallest, farthest bird that was in range. On both days we had one decoy at ~50 yards to mark the farthest bird I'd take. 5 birds dropped with 8 shots, using BCC 20 gauge/3 inch shells with 1-1/16 oz of #4 bismuth. This 20 gauge barrel is choked F & F. Overall I'd say the 20 gauge didn't lose much against my buds' Benelli SBE, a Super-X 3, and an 870 3 inch pump gun - all using steel shot. Nope she isn't a 20 gauge HE Grade Super Fox, but is probably the closest I'll get to one at a reasonable cost. From this admittedly limited test I'd say those purists who bought those 20 gauge long-barreled, tightly choked Parkers back in the day, knew what they could do if pointed right.

Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: