View Single Post
Unread 11-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
Is that ethical? I think making something to the same standards is a goal to strive to but to make it 'appear' original isn't. JMHO
Classic guns, antiques, classic cars. I don't know. I do know that if you wreck a newer car say that is no more than 10 years old, then any significant damage is tracked and part of insurance claim is not just repair to the car but diminution in value of car as a result of the damage and now having a damage history. So does this apply to old classic antique cars where people look past damage. Plenty of old cars and just bodies fetch ridiculous prices, it all depends on the demand for that part. Heck I saw a show where it was a piece of rusty metal sitting in a shop that turned out to be a Shelby body that was worth a fortune. It sometimes makes no sense to some and plenty to others. One man's junk is another's precious collectible sought antique.

So does this apply to old guns. The open market will decide and I dare say the vagaries of the market may not be isolated enough to completely ascertain a true difference. Others may disagree. Now if a gun is advertised as mint condition with all parts original and not reconditioned or replaced, then that could be deceptive if some parts were. Buyer Beware. Heck some guns I have seen the actions and barrels looked great but wood was trashed. New stock or greatly conditioned stock would add value but would it be the same to some one that looking only for pristine gun that is rarely fired and action only last seen by craftsman that put gun together nearly 100 years ago. I would dare say there would be a market premium in that case. If someone is trying to pass that off then that does create deception. I guess it just boils down to disclosure.

Personally I once saw a good looking Parker that was supposedly all original but had shown wear and use but it looked great. Price on it was $5,000. There was a slightly used Parker Reproduction right beside it but it had just a little more scroll work and it had a price of $5,000. Go figure. The old original just felt right in the hands. The Repro came up the same but it just did not have same feel. Could be the cast or whatever but it felt good as well. However it did create a dilemma. Same question. Do you like KFC original recipe or extra crispy? Heck I liked them all. If I had the means and intestinal fortitude would have bought all four. Maybe I am not as discriminating as I should be but which gun will hold more value over time is the real question. Looks like nobody is making old or new anymore so...

Quality and condition vs age and workmanship, plus some other variables.

Last edited by Todd Poer; 11-13-2017 at 06:56 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote