View Single Post
Unread 05-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
Joe from MO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,121 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Joseph, a Parker Trojan 12 on a 2-frame is a very stout gun. When I was a youngster and hunted ducks and pheasants with the same gun I shot whatever was on the shelf at the hardware store. Plastic shells and shot collars/wads had only recently come on the scene and we were not yet restricted to non-toxic shot so for me it was “high brass” lead #6’s for everything. Except for the 100 year old stock there isn’t much to worry about in what you feed it... as long as it’s reasonable.

I will say that your Trojan is the strongest of the three on your wall.

The stock on this gun, is in excellent shape, and it is a #2 frame. Feels very stout, even compared to the Ithaca NID of the same configuration. I did notice when shooting clays the other day, the NID definitely had more bite to it than the Parker..... I am very excited about finding this gun, it's not perfect, but I buy these guns to shoot them, and have shied away from the graded guns.... Mostly because sinking several grand into a gun that unless you are an expert at identifying issues, you never know what you are getting. I think I know enough to avoid a major mistake, but when dumping 3-5K into a gun.... And, I know we have all seen 3-K mistakes on Gunbroker and Guns International....

I had been looking at guns in shops, online for several years now just hoping to come across one that I thought was in the right condition, for the right price. While I'd love to have it in 20 or 16ga..... There is nothing wrong with 12ga guns either. And, I love 30" barrels on a SxS. My Fox 16 is very light and fun to hunt with so I have that if I want to use a sub gauge.....