View Single Post
Iver Johnson Special Trap
Unread 01-10-2021, 09:52 PM   #1
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,898 Times in 1,112 Posts

Default Iver Johnson Special Trap

This forum is dedicated to "Other Fine Doubles", and this gun isn't a double, or fine , so if I have overstepped my bounds I will not get my feelings hurt if the thread is removed. Not sure how strict these rules are.

A friend who doesn't get to shoot doves much, and loves to eat them, was the recipient of the limit I took Thursday afternoon. So, thinking ahead to Monday evening, and wanting some grilled dove breasts myself, I took to the field this afternoon all by my lonesome. I knew where about 50-60 doves were feeding and set up my decoys and blind there. Today was a first for me. In 61 seasons I had never shot doves with a single-shot gun before. I took my 32" barrel Iver Johnson Special Trap and some B & P Comp One shells. The Comp Ones are lower pressure one ounce loads that I have had problems using in my other guns, due to misfires from light primer strikes. They will, however, fire with 100% reliability in this external hammer gun. It has a tight choke, and the drop is not so minimal that I can't shoot it well, though it is a trap gun. I've got a feeling it won't be the last time I use it on late season doves.

All I wanted was a few fresh birds to grill Monday evening, and it worked out nicely. They are marinating in the fridge tonight.

SRH
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: