Unread 07-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #31
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,358 Times in 12,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Morin View Post
The basic filler rod, regardless of the diameter, in SMAW electrodes (with the exception of the 300 and 400 Stainless grade electrodes) have the same metalurgical analysis- 1/8", 5/32", etc in the 6011 series- what would make a 1/8" dia (the bare end that is placed in the stinger) 6011 AWS rod differ from a 1/8 6013 rod is the chemical composition of the flux- both rods, if properly applied, will give a mean tensile of 60,000 psi minimum as stress relieved-

Yeah, I got all that and think I understand it, but....

:
If, on the other hand, you mean tensile/ a correspondent to ductility in some ferrous metals, in a steel rod- such as re-bar or other structual reinforcement applications, the reading may differ- but the fabrication grade steels ( angle, channel, I-Beam etc.) used in coded construction applications today will average 53,000 psi tensile before rupture- think of the tensile test as a giant taffy pull with calibrations to read in PSI-

....so, a 1/8" piece of 6011 rod will support twenty-five tons before stretching?? I don't believe it.... Am I missing something? I'll be ther first to admit that I have no background in metals whatsoever so I'm quite willing to learn.... but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck so tell it to me in a way that I can believe.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote