Thread: 16 ga Repro
View Single Post
Unread 07-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #22
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Graft View Post
CSMC had Merkel make up a batch of 16ga. 28" barrels...I bought one new set and had them fitted to my repro. The rib matting is not like the repro or the originals but is nice. Dolls head does not fit its cut in the receiver perfect but is O.K. The bores are perfect! The gun realy patterns well...I can kill wild pheasants clean at 50 yards with Fiocchi HV 5# and have done it several times with witnesses! I love them barrels! I also own all three of the original PR Kreghoff sets choked Q1/Q2, IC/Mod, Mod/Full The PR full is only .026 and the Mrekel set the full is .031 or X-full (-: thanks all SXS ohio
You are fortunate to have all of those bbls - by your posts it appears you have a very very nice collection.

I can attest to the fact that Merkel bbls are beutifully made & the 16 hits hard.

That has been my go to Pheasant gun when I'm fortunate enough to hunt them (Merkel 16 - choked IC/Mod)

A marriage between Merkel & these Parker Repro's seems to be a pretty nice matchup but of the few I've seen w/the after market bbls, the dolls head is a poor fit with gaps toward the muzzle. (I know metal 'could' be welded in and refit etc)

That just bugs me to no end.

I guess that would keep the cost of fitting down eliminating some handwork but still..why go that far (making the bbls) and not go all the way? That matters to this market & by all accounts the Repros were built to pretty tight tolerances & rather good repeatability.

..sign of the times I suppose
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote