Thread: 2 7/8" 10 ga.
View Single Post
Unread 02-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #17
Jeff S.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
By no means am I trying to tell you what to do , but I'd suggest going to a friends house that reloads shotgun shells and learn loading plain old 12 or 20 gauge shells before deciding to start with the 10 gauge stuff . While loading the 10 isn't difficult it helps to start with something a bit easier and working your way up .

Now with that being said and you decide to go to a friends make sure they let you learn on a single stage press as that's about the only thing you can get for a 10 gauge that's reasonably priced . A progressive 10 gauge is going to cost about $1100 by the time it gets to you . Ponsness Warren makes the only progressive 10 gauge I know of and base cost is $1050 I believe now and if you want them to adapt it for 2 7/8" that's another $35 plus whatever it costs to get it to you .
Thanks for the advice. 30 years ago I reloaded 12 ga. shells because I was shooting in a trap league. I have a MEC jr that I used for those shells. However, I have not been reloading since then. The cost savings was marginal, and with a family, time gets precious so it's been easier to just buy ammo. However, if I find that I enjoy shooting this 10 ga., I may want to re-enter the world of reloading. This stuff's a little pricey. We'll see, but fortunately there are a lot of really nice, and knowledgeable, people on this web site to keep me on the right (and safe) path. At the moment the gun is at the "smith's" for a little tweaking to one hammer.
Jeff Stegmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Stegmeier For Your Post: