View Single Post
Unread 07-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #13
Jack Murphy JR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

My two cents. I am from the center of Connecticut. I was 12 years old in 1972. I had spent the better part of the first 12 years of my life following behind my father who was a great grouse hunter. I witnessed him shoot true doubles on grouse multiple times. And grouse were plentiful. I hunted them in Connecticut from 1974 until I shot my last Connecticut grouse in 1982 when the Connecticut grouse had all but dried up. They were the same farms & covers that I followed behind my dad on and they sure still looked like great grouse cover. I believe the answer is a combination of predators And some kind of disease.
I have a camp in the NEK of Vermont & there are still birds but no where near the numbers that they once were. I can say the same about Northern New Hampshire. I’m guessing we will all agree that NH grouse have also seen a large decline in the last 15 to 20 years.
All I know for sure is that I love the king and it is heartbreaking to witness. I will add that the ruffed grouse is largely responsible for my love of side by sides. A good pointer along with a Parker a few Ruffs and a good friend are the things dreams are made of.
JACK MURPHY JR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JACK MURPHY JR For Your Post: