View Single Post
Appraisers- values- hard to say James
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Appraisers- values- hard to say James

I did go to the Remington repair codes and sure enough WK means that date in 1941. How they did that I'm not sure, maybe some of our researchers know. Off topic, but the late master cane rod maker of Ossining NY, Everett Garrison had a code system that would designate the month and year when he had finished the certain rod, and there was a period when he re-started his codes.

Students of his rods, like Hoagy Bix Carmichael have researched that. Perhaps this area of Remington repair codes, as compared to codes previously employed when the Parker Gun was made at Meriden under the Parker family owndership might be a subject for some research.

I have the two "bullet and fire" proof Browning safes, so my insurance coverage from my home owners policy primarily covers my guns when they are out with me afield, in the vehicles, or on a gun club range. My agent is also a hunter and a collector (Belgian Brownings and Luger pistols) so it is nice, should I ever have a claim, to at least have a agent who knows something of older guns and their values. The adjusters are the "devil in the details here"

I'm not qualified to appraise guns or their conditions. My gunsmith/friend in Grand Rapids does this service for his clients if they request it, perhaps if you have such a gunsmith in your area with a good solid reputation that might be one way to go. I'm reminded in closing of the old wisdom: "If you seek to know the true value of something, as three different persons who are not related and who have NO interest in ever buying that item from you".

Best of luck in your search, and I am glad you received the Parker back.
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote