Unread 11-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna View Post
Swapping bismuth for lead does not concern me. See this thread:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...&highlight=Wsf

I tested the same load twice: one test with 1.25 oz of bismuth and one test with 1.25 oz of lead. All else the same. I was not surprised when the velocity and pressure data were essentially the same for both loads.

What’s heavier? 1.25 oz of bismuth or 1.25 oz lead?

The difference in volume is easily accommodated with less fiber wad in the shot cup.

-Victor
Great info Victor -- thank you for sharing. There is so much misinformation out there that gets passed on from one person to another without anyone actually testing its veracity. That's why I really enjoyed the series of articles, "Finding Out For Myself" by Sherman Bell in DGJ. He dispels many of they myths we have taken as facts for years.

Question: when the testing lab tests a load for pressure does their test gun have a choke or is it cylinder bore? I would assume it's cylinder bore which brings up the issue of how soft vs hard shot gets squeezed as the shot column enters the choke area of the barrel. Again, I am assuming, that steel or bismuth, being harder than lead isn't so easily squeezed down to the smaller diameter and thus would cause higher pressure than the softer lead.

I don't agree that the pressure difference (if any) can be attributed to the volume of the shot column. As you say, and ounce of lead weighs the same as an ounce of bismuth -- so what difference could it make? The only difference is hardness and the shot column's resistance to the squeezing down at the choke.

Another myth probably but I've heard you should not shoot steel shot through a full choke because you could ring the barrel just ahead of the choke constriction. I am sure someone has tested this, I just haven't seen the results.