View Single Post
Unread 06-06-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
chris dawe
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 602 Posts

Hi Tom,it's hard to explain like this but I'll give it a whirl ....first you need to strip the action .
Assuming you're starting with a pre-inlet blank

First brush on some transfer medium ie; inletting black ,Prussian blue,you can even use lipstick or a heavy pencil....you just need something that will relay high spots from the metal to the wood.

Start with the main part of the action first ,use light taps with a small plastic or rawhide mallet,just a couple ...remove the metal,and scrape away the transfer marks left by your inletting black (etc ).

When that's done I like to use a 5/8 inch wood screw through the top tang screw hole to hold everything in place,some use clamps .

Then move on to the trigger plate ( stripped ) same process, only this will use the action as a reference point ,keep inletting until the trigger plate is flush in the action ,then drill the two main action screws...you may have to inlet a little more for the rear screw until it fits flush in the top rear tang .

Now you,reassemble the top lever and lock bolt,cover with inletting black ,and fit into the stock like the rest ,and don't stop until you can push the lever all the way to the right ,

Re-install the safety and spring ,and inlet the same .

Now the sears ,same as the rest .

Re-install the triggers and carry on inletting those .

And the best for last ,the safety jacket ,this has to be done just so or nothing will work ,don't forget to drill for the little push rod that engages the "automatic" safety.
Use the old stock as a reference all throughout out the inletting process,but especially for the safety jacket .

If you make it through all that the grip cap and buttplate should be a breeze,just remember to cut a rough notch for the peak on the plate first and go from there ...use inletting black for these as well.

I'm positive this is all clear as mud.
This will differ from any "woodworking " you may have done in the past,its a very,very slow process, and requires your full concentration ,any rushing about will result a mistakes plain and simple ,try to think a couple steps ahead as you go .There's nothing wrong with a do it yourself attitude ,its how I started at 10 years old with my Daisy BB gun,here I am thirty years later still make stocks ,lots of sawdust and even mistakes .

I should add I assumed you would be starting from pre-inlet as it would give you a fighting chance ,straight from lumber would involve a few more crucial steps in layout .

I hope this helped,good luck with it .

Chris
chris dawe is offline   Reply With Quote