View Single Post
A testament to Damascus
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Parker Bachelder (Brad's Profile)
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,925 Times in 202 Posts

Default A testament to Damascus

I just purchased an N.R. Davis 10 guage hammer gun. Serial #27. 30 inch barrels choked modified and full. 3 inch chambers. Very fine patterned English Twist barrels. The gun is sound but has ample rust, grime and duct tape.
For the past 50 years the owner, a goose hunter, has fired factory Nitro Mag. loads. For the past 20 years, Nitro Mag. 3 " steel shot. I asked him if he had ever had any problems shooting modern ammo ? He said that one time he bought those long 10 ga. shells 3 1/2 " and the gun would not close, so he exchanged them. He said that a lot of people told him not to shoot the gun, but it worked so well that he continued.
To compound the stress he has never, ever cleaned the barrels. It took a lot of effort to remove the years of plastic build up but the bores are perfect.
These barrels withstood years of pounding. Given the amount of plastic buildup, short forcing cones, full choke, and 3" Nitro Mag. steel shot, the presures had to be off the chart. The barrels survived without a single hick-up. I am confident that fluid steel would not have faired as well.
Financially the gun is not worth restoring, but I will do it anyway, the Gun deserves it.
My confidence is with composite barrels.

Brad
Brad Bachelder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Brad Bachelder For Your Post:
Visit Brad Bachelder's homepage!