View Single Post
Unread 04-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I think calling an otherwise well restored gun a 'frankengun', is a bit of a stretch. We all Ooo and Ahh when Brian posts pictures of his restorations. A person could have any number of reasons for having his gun restored and apart from three surfaces getting a new life (Bluing, case colors, and stock finish) it's still the same gun. To say it's not worth as much as an unrestored gun assumes it was in better than average condition prior to restoration.
A seller making a presumptive statement regarding originality is, as Brian says, down to ignorance; his or hoping for yours. If the seller is unwilling to trade for an acceptable price, walk away. That's no different than any transaction regardless of originality.
Configuration and rarity play into the equation alot also. Case in Point; Steve Barnett has recently aquired a lovely DHE 28 gauge from a well known CA estate. It has been totally restored by Doug Turnbull, and I don't particularly care for the texture of the barrel blue; the remainder very nice. Easy for me to say, not having a spare $29500 in the bedside table drawer, but If I did, I could get over that barrel blue, pretty damn quick.
If a gun has just been restored, I agree. However the OP indicated the stock and barrels are not original, which I took meant they are replacements. Cobbling a gun together with parts of other guns is what I refer to as a "frankengun."
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post: