View Single Post
Lefever Arms upland gun - first outing
Unread 07-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,312 Times in 1,219 Posts

Default Lefever Arms upland gun - first outing

While at the Northeast SxS I saw a gent coming down the tent aisle with what looked to be a short-barreled Lefever double gun in a push carriage. A small note in one muzzle showed it was for sale. I asked and got a really good, almost unbelievably low price and of course I was skeptical, that the barrels were cut or it had serious issues. It checked out as an H Grade/12-gauge in upland configuration with 26-inch tubes each with a choke taper out to the muzzle. Keels were in place with the tubes touching and the fancy scallop cut was intact on the rib. Chokes: 14 and 32 points. I'm told that original 26 inch Lefevers are quite rare; this one has twist steel barrels with nice bright bores, no dents, barrels ring clearly, no wood cracks etc. Ivory bead front sight. Needless to say I scarfed the gun. The Lefever Collectors were across from me in the tent and after inspection their comments were: "buy of the show" and did I want to make a quick profit.

Today was the first I was able to shoot her. I only had 65 shells loaded (PB powder/1 ounce of 7-1/2's at about 1170 speed) and I shot the woods course at Rock Mtn that some of you are familiar with. Also did 3 stations on the main course. I didn't look at the view birds, just at the menu flight paths on the station show boards and had at it with the clicker set for following pairs. The old Lefever pointed and shot like a dream with score 61 ex 65.

How I love these honest old upland guns. This one a 12-bore weighing would you believe a tad under 6-10 on my digital scale, with 2-3/4" drop and 13-7/8" LOP. Someone knew what s/he wanted when the gun was ordered in 1904. Right now I'd match her against anything on a woodsy clays course, and of course grouse season will be here in a few months but meanwhile I'm not giving the summer away.

Thought I'd share this story with my friends.

frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LF 1.jpg (508.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg LF 2.jpg (477.0 KB, 37 views)
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post: