View Single Post
Unread 11-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #22
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
Is that ethical? I think making something to the same standards is a goal to strive to but to make it 'appear' original isn't. JMHO
I had an old peeling python reblued one time and intentionally asked the smith to Blue the hammer in hopes of avoiding someone down the road trying to pass it off as original.

However, I have had conversations with gentlemen(not certain that truly applies) who spend large amounts of money restoring a firearm to like new condition. In their opinion on the matter, if they do a restoration the point is to have the gun returned to original like new condition including restoring original markings or serial numbers. In their opinion with the level of work and money put into the gun, they consider it to be restored to stock new condition. When I asked them if it was ethical to present a restored gun as a like new gun, their basic response was if you cannot tell a gun is restored in their opinion it is original.

I don't personally agree with their logic, and have never been willing to trade guns with them, for both originality concerns and pricing issues, but that is what they firmly believe.