View Single Post
Roll Crimping
Unread 01-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,516 Times in 3,096 Posts

Default Roll Crimping

It's the little things that excite me the most lately.
I've always enjoyed roll crimping paper hulls, and I've used a variety of crimping tools. My favorite 12 gauge tool is a deluxe Bridgeport Gun Implement 4 pin crimper. The end result, on new Cheddite hulls is a crimp like the good old days.
My new adventure is roll crimping 28 gauge, so I bought a BPI roll tool, and was unimpressed. The roll was squared off, and uneven. The tool profile is entirely wrong, and it only has one rolling rod. Hopes of finding a good antique was short lived.
After a long search of threads on a variety of sites, I found chatter about a guy named Nick Ross. Nick obviously thought the old timers knew what made a tool right. He produces a beautiful FOUR pin tool.
The profile is 100% correct and his tool is nitride hardened (The Reloaders Network says it's case hardened) for long lasting durability. The BPI roll tool is crude and the working surface is far from what a machinist would consider acceptable.
At twice the price of BPI's tool ($49.95 and free shipping), the roll tool is hands down superior. Nothing less than a perfect roll on plastic and paper is the result, with no galling of once fired paper (cases trimmed to 2 1/2")
The Reloaders Network sells the tool in 10ga. thru .410.
I am not a paid spokesperson, just a satisfied guy with time on his hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1878.JPG (75.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1880.jpg (490.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1881.jpg (429.7 KB, 3 views)
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post: