View Single Post
Unread 09-20-2023, 07:33 PM   #3
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,633 Times in 1,029 Posts

For future use, you can do this yourself. I learned by watching a couple of YouTube videos; buying a few trashed-out screwdrivers at yard sales and fitting them myself. IMHO the real key is to pay attention to fit first, then heat treating second. For all but the most mangled bits, forget about grinding wheels and learn to use 2-3 medium to fine flat files. Practice on the most trashed-out drivers first. Once you achieve the precise fit, pay close attention to tempering and cooling. This will ensure that you won't break off any bits on engraved screws, the ultimate bummer! I have successfully ground and filed a couple of old Sears Craftsman drivers to fit the ultra-thin and fine screws of the Browning Superposed trigger guards and forends. White knuckle, yes, but learn by doing and proceed with caution. There is great satisfaction in fitting your own turnscrews to a particular gun. Should also add I did it to one to fit most of the screws on my 1897 AH Grade 16 gauge 0-frame Parker. As the Germans say, "Keine Angst!"

Last edited by Kevin McCormack; 09-20-2023 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: add language
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: