View Single Post
Unread 11-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,814 Times in 3,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
hunting the same ground year after year sure makes a dog look good when he connects on birds...I still remember the grounds we hunted 50 years ago...in a few places wild quail have made a small come back..i now have 2 coveys on my grandpaws old place..but they are the small Mexican quail very hard to get a shot at those birds...Charlie...
It is interesting that some dogs seem to remember places where they have found birds. We've had several that demonstrated clearly that they knew birds had been in a certain place before. My best bird dog, Trace, would slow down and ease into coverts where we had found grouse, and he would make certain to check out specific field edges or corners where he'd found birds before. He always hunted to cover, but you could tell he remembered certain spots. He was a wizard at finding birds and presenting them to the gun...and had a better memory than I had then, and certainly have now(!)

Charlie, I'm glad that you've seen quail return to some degree. I am reading that some of the Southern states are working hard to provide suitable habitat. It seems that poor Bob is having a harder and harder time making a living.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: