Thread: 10 ga hulls
View Single Post
Unread 06-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

I have had a Browning BPS stalker 10ga since they came out in the late 80's. It was a huge improvement in killing geese with steel shot over a 12ga. Add me to the list of people who think steel BBB is the best steel shot for large geese, better than T's and better than BB. Steel 1's and 2's were best for ducks. I always found Federal 1 5/8 ounce loads more effective then the Winchester and Remington 1 3/4 ounce loads. I am aware some faster lighter loadings are available now but I have not used them. With a 26" barrel mine is loud and bright muzzle flash if I shoot in the first minute of legal shooting on an overcast day. If I shoot 15 or more shells through it within a couple of hours it continues to kill on one end but starts to wound on the other. A good functional waterfowling gun, I like the safety position, but would prefer side ejection for easier loading a single shell when there is crip and the gun is empty. I am finding the 2 7/8 10ga very effective too and am enjoying a Parker NH and Remington 1894 10 bores. Have fun!

I am guessing you know this, don't shoot steel shot or run any factory 3 1/2 shells through that LC Smith if you get it. You'll need to reload per the Sherman Bell chart or buy RST's.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote