View Single Post
What Makes a Red Letter Day?
Unread 12-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Default What Makes a Red Letter Day?

Some of my favorite sporting writers have described red letter days in their hunting careers. Over many years of hunting, I have long realized that in the end, I'm hunting experiences, not numbers of birds reduced to bag. When I look back through my shooting journal I see entries where I noted some red letter days. I remember every one.

This past week we were able to visit a farm that has provided some good hunting for us over the years. The day was warm for mid-December, and a bit breezy -- not good scenting conditions. I'd decided to use a new-to-me CHE 20 that had served me well during our October grouse hunt. Alder was out of commission with a foot injury, so young Aspen had the day to himself. The week had produced some decent hunting and good opportunities for him, and this day turned out to be the best of the season so far. After a long walk in on a mud road, we began our day hunting the closer, southern section of the farm. We found three coveys of birds, all healthy in number, with one containing over twenty birds. Although Aspen found and pointed the coveys and some singles, I did not have good shot opportunities. The birds knew the property boundaries well, and where every thicket was located...but we walked back to the truck for lunch with four nice Bobs to show Alder, who was pouting about not getting out.

After the break for lunch and a short nap, we headed back down the mud road to the northern part of the farm. Another covey find by Aspen and some better opportunities added to our bag. Aspen hunted hard even in the warmer temperatures. I remarked to Elaine on how much progress he'd made so far this season, and, especially, this day.

The day was waining and we had a long walk back to the truck, so Elaine and I decided it was time to turn south. As we headed out, I found a nice roost just off the mud road and told Elaine that this looked like a perfect spot for a covey -- great cover, far back on a road that would be inaccessible to those not willing to walk in. Elaine took some photos of the roost, and as we headed back to the truck in the final hour of this short winter day, Aspen found his 5th covey of the day -- and made his 13th point. My last shot of the day also completed our limit.

A limit of wild quail is not only unusual for us, it's not something we ever really seek these days. I watch "our coveys" closely, and we seldom take more than a bird or two from them on any given hunt, generally leaving with no more than a brace of birds for the day. This day, though, with its good bird numbers and the chances they offered to a pup in training, seemed like the right occasion to honor Aspen's good work with some quail for him to retrieve. He was a tired guy at day's end, and his tail was showing it on his last point. I can't speak for Elaine, but my tail was dragging, too. The long walk out put us back at the truck near sunset, just as the wind calmed. We all were that kind of tired that reminds you of time and energy well spent.

This was a Red Letter Day for me. Not because of the numbers of birds, and for no one particular aspect of the day, but for the combination of things that made it memorable. The good work of a developing dog, shooting a treasured gun well, being in great country on a beautiful day...and sharing it all with Elaine. I'm not sure I would ask for more even if I could.

I'm curious what makes a Red Letter Day for other members. I invite you to share your thoughts on this post, and I hope you will...and that it will bring back a good memory or two for you. Merry Christmas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4528.jpg (504.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4544.jpg (513.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4578.jpg (504.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4590.jpeg (239.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8144.jpg (503.5 KB, 2 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: