View Single Post
Unread 10-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

When I was a kid, my dad decided for himself that Wanda shells were the thing of the future. At that time, he was loading Alcan paper hulls, and had purchased a right hand 1100 (new on the market then), although Dad was left handed. Paper hulls were going the way of the dinosaur then, and functioned sporadically in the 1100. Dad thought the uniformity of the Wanda shells would be the answer! He bought a few cases, and also the reloading components offered by Wanda, that included a big box of the little plastic conical "crimp inserts" that served as the case closure. Wanda also provided instruction for modifying popular loaders of the day to reload the shells, which in part meant diabling the sizing function.

The plan worked fine on new shells, they worked flawlessly in that 1100. The plan failed though shooting the Wanda reloads in the auto. Twice I remember Dad having to pick pieces of red hard plastic from his cheek and forehead from shells that shattered upon ejection. If I recall, the demise of Wanda was a flurry of lawsuits stemming from case failure.