Thread: Skeet Load
View Single Post
Unread 02-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #33
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Harold, that's a 0178 for the 12ga. 1078 fits the 20ga, both 7/8oz. #9's is standard for skeet , but you could use 8 1/2, 8's, or even 7 1/2. Most gun clubs will demand you don't go any larger, mainly they'll fly farther and maybe out of the shooting grounds. Because you're so close at skeet - 15 to 27 yds - #9's have enough energy, and there's more of them, so that's what most guys use. Same for trap if you shoot fast, but most guys like 8's or 7 1/2 because the shots are usually a little longer. Remington designed 8 1/2 for 16yd trap. Right now I use 8's for everything including 5-stand and SC's. Then I'll get on a kick and switch to 8 1/2. Don't worry about it - if the clay is in the center of your pattern any size will break it. Although I should say at one time I patterned all my and the wife's guns. Her 28ga didn't like 8 1/2 shot. Everything else was good. I don't pattern them anymore, but if seems like you're not breaking targets and think you should, it wouldn't hurt to pattern it. Good luck - Paul