View Single Post
Unread 10-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #26
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

There is a self published book about the ranchers in SE New Mexico and the Springers are mentioned there.

Sallie Chisum's first husband was named William Robert. He divorced Sallie, seperating in 1890. He took 3,000 head of Chisum breed short horned cattle to the XI ranch near Plains, Kansas. He eventually bought the spread. He took the two boys, John and Fred. They attended high school in Hutchinson, Kansas and worked with him on the ranch. Dr. Hinton, a Chisum family expert, told me that he "almost worked those two boys to death".

The XI ranch, which was originally the XIII ranch grew into SW Kansas and into NW Oklahoma. Robert also got into the oil business in Colorado. He remarried. His boys had an off again, on again, relationship. John, the eldest, eventually moved to LA and got into the movie business; never had a hit however. Fred the younger, was a Rough Rider, married and had one son, William Lee Robert(s). Fred stayed in ranching, died in Oklahoma.

I have pictures of all of these people. I even have pictures of William Robert's parents!
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote