View Single Post
Unread 07-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #10
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,000 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
If you want a very nice Scott 10g, I know where there may still be one.
Well it's not that I'm maker specific I appreciate all old guns especially 10 gauges . I got to shoulder two different 20 gauge hammer guns today when I was searching various gun stores looking for some goex bp.
One was marked Thomas Baker and one was just Baker. From what I could tell they both had 30" damascus barrels . The Baker gun was alot nicer locked up like a brand new sxs . Actually the only 20 ga double I've ever held besides the Purdey that I got to shoot from one of the plantation guests . Just neat little guns but don't think I will abandon my 10 gauges . I was thinking I could save up perhaps 5k later this year but I feel like 2500$ is a more realistic and comfortable price range . The W. & C. Scott 10 ga I am looking at is listed at exactly 2500$ and looks to be in good condition says it has no pitting but light roughness in the bores . I've seen in the past the field grade Westley Richards or would that be a grade 1 ? A&D 10 gauges go for around that price range . Perhaps I could hunt one down . The Parkers I've looked at in that price range in 10 gauge appear to be in rougher shape . I guess they command a higher price because of their collectability . Really all I will be looking for is a good solid 10 ga with 32" barrels . Well not entirely , I like guns or gunmakers who have a rich history as well . Probably the main reason I treasure these vintage doubles . I think the guy from the gun shop YouTube channel said it best. When hunting with a vintage sxs the gun has a soul of its own and makes the experience in the field that much more .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote