View Single Post
Unread 02-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,597 Times in 3,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
Tower shoots are a real hoot. I did one at 10deg in Michigan some years back. 12 stations, 200+ birds. A few flew a circle around all 12 stations and never got hit and just landed outside the ring and ran off to be hunted up in the walk up afterwards. Hilarious to watch. You really got to see how most shooters shoot behind when they miss, as they'd shoot the tail clean off a rooster that would keep on going. And I love it when folks don't want their birds. I took home 35 birds from a hunt once, and that was after tossing some into trucks on their way out of field. I think I'm going to dig into my freezer today to see if I have any pheasants or ducks in there. Haven't had one of either in a while.
These weren’t from a tower but rather from the ground on a higher point . While I couldn’t actually see the throwers it was no issue to see the birds rising up thru the tree branches . Kinda irked me how many of them smacked into limbs and then came out to low to be shot at and or landed in plain sight ! They released 500 birds at this shoot . Never did here what the total take was , generally from a couple of the retriever guys I know they say 250-300 is about average . I do know two years ago I went with someone for a walk up three days after a release at this same place and even with others working the area the two days before us in 2 1/2 hours we put up about three dozen birds . And we didn’t really cover the whole place . That day I musta seen 8-10 roosters running across open clean cut fields that the dogs never got to .