Thread: Black powder
View Single Post
Unread 12-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,176 Times in 630 Posts

This has been a great thread with a lot of good information. I'll add a few things and I have some questions as well.

It is relatively easy to reload black powder shotshells with hand tools. When I first bought a 2 5/8" 10 gauge lifter, I wasn't set up for reloading. I cut down RST plastic shells and loaded them with the Goex 2ff black powder, nitro card, fiber wad, shot and then glued on a over shot card. I usually got 2 reloads out of the plastic shells. This video helped get me started in the very beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4IBv0Bg9U

I then had to try the all brass shotshells. Magtech is a cheap way to get started into this, though they only make up to 12 gauge. Track of the Wolf sells some great replica Parker Bros. brass shotshells in 10 and 12 gauge in a few different chamber lengths. I love these and they also sell a really good reloading guide for them as well. These seem like the closest thing you can get today that replicate what our hammer guns were shooting back when they were new. Loading is the same as shown in the video above with powder, nitro card, fiber wad, shot, over shot card glued in place.

With paper shells you can load by hand and then roll crimp at the end with an overshot card. I like this method as well and you can still get paper shells in everything but a 10 gauge. You can buy 2 1/2" primed Cheddite Paper hulls that give you a head start for the first time you load them.

Since I have started reloading in 12 and 10 gauge with a press, I have crimped plastic shells so they look like any other shotshell. I usually get 2 reloads out of these as well, most of the time they are RST/Cheddite hulls. The only real difference is instead of gluing an overshot card you crimp the shell using the last 2 stations of your press. I like these too, but I still end up putting in the powder by hand. It's a little quicker and the shells could be used in repeaters, like an 1887(which I really need to get) or early pumps 1893/1897(I could use one of those too...). The roll crimped paper shells would fall into this as well.

Regardless of the loading method, I think it is a must try for a hammer gun shooter. Take the time to load some and see how much fun it is to shoot black powder. I love the feeling I get when I shoot a double with black powder. It is a fun experience and really easier to get into than regular reloading.

My question is on different powders. I have always used 2ff Goex in all my black powder shooting regardless of gauge, though I have only loaded and shot target loads. I have a Tundra Swan and duck hunt coming up in January and only want to use black powder shells. I do have time to test some combinations before I go. I have seen/read how several people like the Old Eynsford powder. Thank for your info and insight on this powder Eric, it makes me want to try OE. I will be using a 10 gauge Top Action Parker made in 1882.

I was about to place a black powder order with Maine Powder House and I think I will try some Old Eynsford. I had seen how everyone likes 1.5f in OE, for the 10 gauge could I use that or would you go to 1f of OE? I do have several cans of 1f Goex that I bought for an original musket and then I returned the gun. I have ordered BB and #2 ITX original 10 shot t use for non-toxic shot for the hunting trip. I had wanted BBB for the Swan hunt, but everyone was out, I may be able to find some before I go.

A long post…hopefully it reduces some of the intimidation factor in reloading and shooting black powder in our Parkers. In addition, it shows even after doing it for awhile you can still have questions.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: