Thread: Black powder
View Single Post
Unread 12-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
Eric Johanen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Main reason is felt recoil. 4 to 4.25 drams and 1.25 oz shot with 2 or 3 fg is a pretty stout load and can be punishing for a 50 shot course. 1 fg cuts down on the recoil and still performs quite well on clays and birds. OE 1.5 fg is more like Goex 2 fg in grain size and the performance is outstanding. Black powder works best in smooth bores and I only use up the Pyrodex Cartridge in the 10 ga. Years ago when I used a Shiloh Sharps in 45-120 I had worked up a good load using the Cartridge grade. I bought a good supply when on close out and it sat on the shelf for many years until I tried a short 10 Greener and decided to use it up. 110 grains of Pyrodex Cartridge works well in that hull and is an excuse to use the powder up. 12 and 16's I really like black powder best and clean up is about the same for both powders so why not use the real stuff. With Cheddite supplying paper hulls in both 12 and 16 black powder is excellent for an old time shooting experience. I do doubt that 10 ga papers will ever be produced and the market is just too small to make it worth while and plastic is the only option and they do work well, just not the same experience as a paper hull. When you get a squad of black powder shooters and vintage doubles on the course or 5 stand it brings back the shooting experience of the Victorian/Edwardian era It is really quite a sight to see!
Eric Johanen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Johanen For Your Post: