View Single Post
Unread 03-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #24
Ken Snyder
PGCA Member

Member Info

My apologies to Rob for wandering off on a tangent in his Stevens thread....

I had a few minutes last evening to take down the Whitney and inspect. The only marking beyond the rib on the gun is a three digit SN#. I pulled the patent papers on #59110 and found that it directly applies to the 3 trigger Whitney. Specifically with regard to the mating of the forward action flats to the breech face. The patent Whitney developed during the late ML era was utilized in his breechloading guns. I didnt have time to get images, but it is clear when you compare the patent drawing and description to a physical example.

There is no marking present of the later patent #93159 although it obviously contains those bolting design improvements.

Interestingly, the Whitney and the Wesson do share a commonality. The forend metal on both guns are permanently attached via hinge. Barrels are lifted off by opening the action fully, drifting the forend key allowing removal. I'm not sure of any other maker that incorporated that design element but would like to know if there are others.

I will be happy to bring the gun to the Southern, or Ernies if anyone would like a closer look.
Ken Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Snyder For Your Post: