Unread 01-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,239 Times in 12,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Poindexter View Post
Interesting. They say "The barrels are manufactured by themselves", but don't list Laminated Steel as an option. We have seen rib-marked "Laminated Steel" barrels in a herringbone pattern from 1878 to 1881 stamped P on the flat, which Rev Doc Drew identifies as Lutticher (Liege) "Toncin" damascus, and many believe to be the only barrels actually manufactured from scratch by PB. Wonder what the buyers thought when instead of getting damascus they got a gun marked Laminated?
It's true - according to testimony given by Charles A. King before a Senate Inquiry, Parker Bros. produced their own barrels in 1877, 1878, and 1879. They were made in segments and hammer-welded together to form the full-length tube.
We find guns made with these P marked Laminated Steel barrels into the early 1880's. I have a Grade 3 made in 1881 with these Parker-made barrels.

There should have been no disappointment in receiving a Parker with Laminated barrels instead of Damascus barrels. Laminated Steel is a more resilient composition and is as strong as the best Damascus.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: