View Single Post
Unread 12-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #17
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,601 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary View Post
Garry: Thanks for the story about frustration, readjustment and redemption; and for the nice photos. It's inspiring.

I have never been a good shot on either clay targets or birds, but that alchemy of which you speak has kicked in on enough occasions to keep me going.

If you tend to know what your eyes are doing, you have greater situational awareness than I have. It is hard enough for me to know what I am doing with my eyes at the moment I pull the trigger on a skeet field, but when it involves a live game bird taking to wing, forget it! -- I am too enthralled to have any idea.

Edmund W. Davis, in his WOODCOCK SHOOTING, a private printing of 1908, and upland classic of today, on page 63 describes this phenomenon well:

“I have often been asked whether I shoot with both eyes open. While I incline to believe that one of my eyes is fast closed, I would be unwilling to confirm that assertion; for at the instant of firing I am bewildered with a mysterious delight and doubt if I am capable of diverting my thoughts sufficiently to tell what my eyes are doing”.
Russell, Thanks for the reminder of Davis (I have his book, but alas, only in the reprinted form). I think it's interesting to read what others have said about their shooting, both the similarities and differences. We each come to this process in our own ways. Sure, we can learn about the "science" of it all, but in the end, it's still the individual that experiences that split second unconscious action that is the shot. Thinking too much about it has seldom been the "cure" for me. So, when I am aware of what my eyes are doing, as you suggest, I generally miss.

I'm going to dig my Davis out tonight after we look up a covey or two today.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: