View Single Post
Unread 01-31-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Victor, not sure where you're putting the two 16ga OS cards. I've always tried to keep any card over the shot as thin as possible. Even in my old [ 1905 ] Sears catalog, in the reloading section they recommend just one thin OS card . I found out the same as they recommend, that too thick a OS card produces a hole in the pattern. I know other guys here claim it doesn't hurt, but why take a chance if the space can be taken up with thicker cushion wads ? Years back I was at a out of state SxS Shoot and was using brass shells, BP, and thick [ .062 ] OS cards. I was using them because it was advertised you didn't have to glue them in. The first half of the shoot I couldn't hit anything. I meant 0 or 1 for 8 at a station. My buddies were looking at me funny. After lunch I switched to regular shells and didn't have any more problems. The next day I went to the pattern board with them . That's when I found out what the thick card did. A big hole right in the middle.
It sounds like you just need to adjust your crimp stations to close up a hole in the middle of the crimp, or a little more wad in the cushion area. Just some ideas. Thanks to both of you guys for getting loads tested.