View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #37
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,572 Times in 3,078 Posts

I'm still intrigued by the accounts I read here about how folks shoot. It's why the gun weight, drop, cast, length of pull, stock configuration, etc. are characteristics of an individual's most sought after features. There are most certainly many methods to shooting, and I think there lies the crux of the distinct differences among us as to what features, including weight, we most desire.

I can honestly say that when I hit, as I like to say, "on purpose" (meaning I know it was not a lucky shot), I have never remembered seeing the bead, whether it's brass, ivory, or missing entirely. I obviously shoot instinctively on most of my shots. It's when I start thinking and calculating, that I miss. I believe in the natural pointing method, which means that where I look, I point, and if the guns fits, I hit. When I am shooting doves or ducks is when I have too much time to consider things and start seeing the barrels. I can see if a person mostly shot this way, a single sighting plane might be an advantage. I think I'd go nuts if I shot clays.

There are so many variables. Suffice it to say, I imagine each of us who shoots a great deal has his or her own method. This would included desired weight as well as all of the other nuances of gun fit. It's what makes all of these discussions so interesting...and at times, mystifying.

This has been an enjoyable thread!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: