View Single Post
Unread 07-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #35
Ron Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Had a Winchester 59 that I chopped the barrel to 22” got rid of the PG and made a straight grip and finally slimmed the forend way down , this was my attempt at a Frank Woolner grouse gun and again I shot it pretty well on birds unloaded I think it was about 5 1/2-5 3/4 . But for me atleast that 59 had no soul so I never really was wound up about it.
Interesting .... I have never heard of anyone trying that. Thanks for the reminder -- caused me to reread his chapter on grouse guns in "Grouse and Grouse Hunting."

His grouse gun for those who may not own the book:

Winchester Win-Lite Model 59, 3 shot 12 gauge autoloader lightened by a gunsmith to weigh 5lbs 11oz. Barrel cut to 23" and left cylinder bore. Pistol grip "planed off." His preferred load was 1 oz of 8s or 9s in the early season and 7 1/2s later.

Which brings up another topic -- he mentions that he didn't shoot SxSs well and preferred a single sighting plane. Anyone else feel the same? I know that I shoot better scores with my O/Us than I do with my SxSs -- not a lot better but somewhat better. On one SxS (newly manufactured) I experimented with a large white bead and small center bead -- seemed to help. I think a raised rib would help but don't like to looks of them on a SxS.

As far as weight goes I shoot my 6lb 3oz Silver Pigeon I better than any other shotgun I own but I still prefer a light (6 - 6 1/2lb) 28 gauge SxS with 2 triggers (IC and Mod) for upland hunting. Straight or pistol grip, it doesn't matter but I like the lines of a straight stock with splinter forend. 28" barrels are fine, and I'd take 26" tubes before going to 30". If I had my choice I'd go with non-ejector over ejectors but that's not high on the priority list--good triggers are. They need to be crisp and both of equal pull weight (3.5 - 4 lbs)

Craig mentioned "soul" as an important attribute -- I agree even though it's hard to define -- looks, feel, balance, memories, wear marks, and nice wood is important.

Sorry Mr Woolner but I never met an autoloader with soul! I like being able to open the action quickly and silently when crossing a stonewall or when walking up to another hunter.
Ronald Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronald Scott For Your Post: