View Single Post
Unread 07-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #34
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,524 Times in 3,400 Posts

Like many here I’ve owned a veritable truck load of shotguns over the years . And featherweights were part of the equation ! I had a nice old Darne 20 gauge with 25” barrels a number of years ago , I shot it very well after grouse and quail but a round on the skeet field would beat the tar out of you the gun weighed 5 1/2 pounds . Had a Winchester 59 that I chopped the barrel to 22” got rid of the PG and made a straight grip and finally slimmed the forend way down , this was my attempt at a Frank Woolner grouse gun and again I shot it pretty well on birds unloaded I think it was about 5 1/2-5 3/4 . But for me atleast that 59 had no soul so I never really was wound up about it . Later I got an Browning Citori 16 gauge Upland Special 24” I think it was right at 6 pounds , I shot that gun really well at birds both feathered and clay both with mounted gun and low gun . I had however put a decelerator pad on the gun . Also recently had a first year Sterlingworth 20 gauge 26” that was an ounce or so under six pounds and shot it well at dove and clay targets if I paid attention . From years of shootingbtubed over and infers IE 9-10 pound guns I do very well on clay targets with heavy guns . At the moment my favs have to be a VHE 20 28” not sure the weight as well as a GH 0 frame 16 that’s 26” and of course my EH 28” 10 on a 2 frame and almost forgot I not to long ago picked up a Grade 2 top lever 1 frame 12 gauge with 30” barrels . But truth be known since I don’t really bird hunt that much other then occasional dove and game farm pheasants . Yeah as to weight I’d say as long as it’s more then 5 pounds and less then 12 pounds I can deal with it .