View Single Post
Unread 09-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #15
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,693 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges View Post
Jerry, I can see your reasons for the squirrel migrations, but this year in NH I really think it is as simple as a very high squirrel population and a very high acorn crop, which is dropping acorns on our highways and the vehicle crushed nuts being fed on by our grays. For some reason our mouse population is out of control also. Everyone has had there homes invaded, included me, with mice this year. And it began in mid August.
I think they don't migrate very far like they did in the story but they still migrate to the food and we have the same thing with them being run over here. Some years I have none around my house and recently I've had tons of them.

But can you imagine this from the story: In southeastern Wisconsin in 1842, a gray squirrel migration lasted four weeks and involved nearly a half billion squirrels.

A half billion, 500 million squirrels? They would eat everything in sight.

They probably helped all of my families during the depression, and when I was a kid my mother could fix them to taste as good as anything one could eat. Man was the squirrel gravy so good. The old timers would take the handle of the table knife and bust their heads open to eat the brains. I never was that hungry though.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post: