View Single Post
The Letter
Unread 05-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #31
Walter Sippel
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default The Letter

Well, okay then, here is the research letter in the attached file for my Parker. Thank you Chuck for doing it so quickly.

And this is what I know, the gun is the Wiley gun. The Wiley name is inscribed on the gold shield on top of the wrist. The measurements of the stock match those on the second page of the letter. The Damascus barrels and the Laminated Steel barrels match the description.

The information left by my grandfather indicates that he purchased it from a “Wiley” or perhaps a Wiley estate. According to his notes, the gun belonged to Orange Wiley, who died in 1926, and the gun was purchased shortly after Alma Wiley’s (Orange’s widow) death in 1959. A newspaper clipping of Alma’s obit is in with the gun. I was a kid then and paid attention to the gun but not the important background information. And Grandpa’s notes indicate that the gun was originally purchased from Parker for $80.00 and the fitted case was an additional $8.00.

There are some discrepancies in the history tho’. According to various genealogy sites, Orange Wiley would have been a teenager, born in 1863, when the gun was purchased. Since $80.00 then would be over $2000.00 now I doubt that Orange could have afforded it. I can find no family link, other than the name and general location, Ohio, between Orange Wiley and T.J. Wiley. T.J. being the owner of note in the research letter.

To the letter: T.J. Wiley was a Tanner and Currier (seller of hides) and would have been in his mid 40’s in 1879. He probably would have been able to afford the gun. C. Sangden was a merchant. W.S. Paker was a physician. They all lived in Piqua, Ohio, and were close in age. (My wife is a Jack Russel Terrier when it comes to researching lineage.)

That’s what I’ve got. Other than the impression that T.J. was kind of hard on the gun. Although, it is in fine shape now and locks up tight.

What do you fellows know?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCF_000004.pdf (771.0 KB, 36 views)
Walter Sippel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walter Sippel For Your Post: