View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've never sold a gun at Julia's but I have bought a few. I never read their entire selling contract because that would give me a headache. Generally speaking the auction houses that I am familiar with, unless the auction is advertised as being "absolute", will not sell any item that does not bring at least half of the low estimate. As you say, Jent, the auction does not advertise which item has a reserve and which does not and it does tend to become confusing. Any item that hammers above half the low estimate should be sold unless advertised with a reserve IMHO. Some auction houses will continue to try to sell a gun that does not sell in the auction, post sale. Generally if they do this they will not accept a bid less than the low estimate that was published in the catalogue. Some auction houses will bid an item up to it's reserve against a live bidder and if it doesn't meet the reserve they will announce that it is sold to the "AB" (absentee bidder) so that it appears the every item is sold until the "prices realised list" is published.

Best Regards, George