View Single Post
Explain this to me...
Unread 01-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,567 Times in 3,075 Posts

Default Explain this to me...

Why is it that we always get great dog work, open shots, and calm nerves at the flush of a big, hunted-since-October rooster pheasant in late January...after the pheasant season is over?! Iowa's quail season lasts to the end of the month, but the pheasant season ends on Jan. 10. There are a lot of shots at pointed roosters that could be made, but aren't. Ya just have to grin. The dogs like the fun, though.

Here's the sequence:

1. Alder pins a bird in the open in a finger of grass out in the open. I "know" it's a pheasant. I've seen its tracks in the snow.

2. The bird patiently waits until I tell Elaine to be ready and for me to stroll in before it erupts from cover.

3. The rooster gets up right on schedule and offers my best shot -- left to right (and close, so no need to calculate lead).

4. I say "BANG!" as I pull away...and wish Mr. Rooster a good day and a happy mating season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4855.jpg (514.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4856.jpeg (415.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4856 2.jpeg (391.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4858.jpeg (348.8 KB, 3 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: