View Single Post
Unread 02-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,003 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
the old short 10 ga 2 7/8 inch gun has been passed by the modern 12 ga magnum loads...but the short 10 ga is still one fine load it will still kill a duck or goose out to 60 yards with the right shell...such as tungston or heavy shot shells...just about ever body loads their own shells today but loaded ammo can be bought...most all of us have a 12 ga magnum gun but it usally stays home and the old 10 ga is in our hands in the field....why.....because.......it s just that way....charlie

I used the RST 1 1/8oz loads for shooting clays and squirrels in #7 shot or was it 7.5s I cant remember . Next time I may try #5s or 4s . My 3.5" 10 ga didnt pattern 4s that well but maybe in a shorter shot column the 2 7/8 might ?

Even if the modern 12s beat the short 10 , its still just a fun shell to hunt with . And in a 10lb gun those RST loads are probably one of the softest shooting combinations .

It would be interesting to see someone load some tungsten matrix in the 10 ga 2 7/8 ive read its safe for old barrels . I plan to order some of RSTs bismuth loads this year . We have a early geese season that starts in September I think it would be alot of fun to hunt geese with a vintage 10 ga double in the autumn .
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote